From:
"Eric J. Burton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric J. Burton
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:28:19 -0600
Check out the Sin Bin on the Brian Unvarnished truth.

                                      Sin-Bin
                                 By Eric J. Burton
                             AKA the "Fabulous Sports Goon"

         Rough Play

         During the post game interview of last weekends series with
Michigan Tech on KCNN Sioux Forward Matt Henderson was critical of the
Huskies dirty play during the weekend series. Tim Hennessy said that Matt
had steam rolling off his shoulders, Henderson who is a physical player
himself  said that he did not like the style of play that Michigan Tech
displayed. Henderson was concerned if play like that is tolerated by game
officials someone could get hurt. I agree. Luckily no one was hurt. It was
evident that once Tech discovered that they could not skate with the
quicker, smaller Sioux, Tech tried to play cheap, this tactic ended up
costing the Huskies two power play goals in the wanning moments of a
close game. On the weekend  the officials missed a lot of calls, but in
the end had to call penalties because some of the Huskie penalites were so blatant, this ended
killing the Huskie effort. I now wounder is the rest of the league is
going to miss Michigan Tech, if and when they move to the CCHA. I would
say not, if they continued to play this way. Over the last year and a half
UND is 8-0-0 against Michigan Tech.

        The Gophers Situation

         On Sunday I was reading the sports page of the Minneapolis
Star and Tribune, when I came across an humerous editorial in the sports
page. A disgrunted fan had written in to complain about the current
situation of the Gopher Hockey Team.

         (Some stuff not included) So coach Doug Woog is having a down
year, so what So what if year after year his recruiting pulls into the cream
of the crop and he squanders it? So what if you're paying $19.00 per
ticket and $6.00 for parking. (Some more deleted) So what if the fan
are fashionably late, leave in the middle of play to stand in concession
lines, and lean on their knees obstructing the views of others? So the team
can't win in Grand Forks. Big Deal. So what Wisconsin was won more
NCAA titles (he didn't mention that North Dakota has more too) than the
Gophers they didn't have all Minnesotans on their team, did they. So what
if Michigan loses half its team and still is 18-4 this season? We are not
in the Wolverines league, so it doesn't matter. What matters is that
Gophers fans consider winning the Hobey Baker Award more valuable than a
piece of hardware sitting on a shelf or a banner hanging from the rafters...

                                                        Author Dan Ondick

Folks this is classic stuff. To me this is down right funny, (well not for
Gopher fans, but for the Sioux fans it is) these letters to the sports
editor have been appearing in the column since the Gophers started losing.
It didn't take to long for the once proud fans to start calling for
the end of the all Minnesota era. I know why. The Gopher fans are tired of
watching Minnesota choke in the playoffs year after year, While other WCHA
teams have won titles in the 1980's and 1990's, most recently the
Fighting Sioux. Folks if you think things are going to stay like this for
long in Mpls think again. The homers are not enjoying losing or watching
their Gophers take a beating week after week. Look for Woog to be
gracefully shoved out at Minnesota. Stay tuned the soap opera continues.

         The Goons Ice Chips

*David Hoogstein on Andy Sutton he is a good player but he is kind of a
goon. A quote from the post game show on KCNN.

*Look for Karl Goerhing to get both starts against SCSU this weekend.
However, Schwietzer made a solid case for his playing time. Look for
Schweitzer to play both games against MSU the following weekend.

*Predictions for the weekend. UND and SCSU if the real Sioux hockey teams
shows up to play and doesn't get caught up in the antics they could
sweep, however, look for a split. Sioux Win 4-2 on Friday and 4-3 on
Saturday.(O.K. but I don't want to sound to over confident). Wisconsin
and C.C.look for the Tigers to come out smoking as they open the new world
arena Tigers sweep the Baders 5-1 and 4-2. Look for UMD to sweep the not so
Golden Gophers 5-1 and 10-2. Denver sweeps their two ECAC opponents.