From:
Doug Garn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Garn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:53:17 -0500
Mark Lewin says...

> style. What I didn't like about LSSU tonight was their cheapness
> and their petty viciousness. On numerous occasions, they would throw
> cheap cross checks aginst RPI high across the neck in the corners.

I won't defend the actions Fuss or Kucsalain (did he play).  I have seen
these 2 players be vicious and cheap.  But as a general rule I don't
think the rest of the players are that way.  What really started with
Jeff Jackson and has continued on with Scott Borek is to want there
players to throw the puck into the boards in there offensive zone and
then dig it out.  This makes for alot of very close calls on back
checking and cross-checking, on both teams.  Yes, sometimes it can be
construed as "cheap."  BUT I have seen that style of play go the other
way with the Lakers opponets looking "cheap."  Unfortunately from Mark
Lewin's point of view he thought it went against LSSU.

I'm not saying we weren't cheap, maybe the "cheapness factor was against
us in this game.  I do believe that we don't play this way as a general
rule (with the possible exceptions of Fuss & Kucsulain).

> numerous occasions, you could see the Lakers watching for the refs
> to turn away from them and throw cheap punches or elbows against

I've seen this everywhere in hockey, from the NHL, OHL, NAHL on down.
Has anyone NOT seen this from there own team and there opponents?