From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:07:06 -0500
NHMEX wrote:
> Referee John Gravallese should be recognized for BU's defensive play of the
> game for a spectacular non-call in the second period, when UNH goaltender Sean
> Matile was knocked over and sat upon while Juha Vuori deposited the puck in
> the net. Now, I admit that I often see things through blue-and-white tinted
> glasses, but I  don't typically ref-bash, and this was unbelievably obvious
> (at least from my seat, in the front row to Matile's left). Was that a red
> sweater I saw peeking out underneath Gravallese's zebra suit?

This happened at the far end of the ice for me, so I can't make any
judgements here.  But here's an observation.  The usual reason not to
call interference on a play like this is because the attacking player
was pushed/tackled/tripped by a defender, and that's why he ended up
running into the goaltender.  Is it possible that's what happened here?
It all happened very fast, so I really don't know.

>Why did Bekar get a game misconduct? I never saw the slash, but I know it was
>his first penalty of the game. It must have been pretty nasty, which isn't
>typical of his style of play.

He received a 10 minute misconduct, presumably for voicing his
displeasure about the call to either linesman Jones (who called the
penalty) or Gravellese.

Chris