Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:51:07 -0700
Looking for any comments people here may have on this game, both on the
game as a whole and on Ben Guite's clocking of Mark Mowers head-first into
the boards.

This loss was UNH's biggest win ever over Maine, the Black Bear's worst
shutout loss since 1982 (11-0, Providence), and Matile's sixth shutout in
two years.

Are the Black Bears a very good team which is just having difficulties in a
holiday slump... or have people been putting too many expectations on this
team (IE, overrated?)?

What's up with Matile? Is he starting to settle down as a solid netminder
or is he as unpredictable as ever?

Regarding Mowers' injury, perhaps I missed it but is any talk of more
severe punishment for Ben Guite (the player who delivered the hit)? Is
there any possibility that the league may assign Guite a further suspension
for such a vicious hit? In the box that was posted I didn't even see Guite
assigned a penalty -- in the USCHO writeup it was listed that he received a
"major misconduct" so what happens to him? Was he sent off and another
player served the penalty? Is this simply a one-game suspension? Did Guite
have anything to say?

This seems to be an increasing problem with college hockey. We've had our
discussions here about full-face helmets, about where a player stands with
his back wide open, about the difficulties in not hearing a ref's
whistle... but it seems that these types of hits (and injuries) seem to be
on the rise, and the main factor is the lack of severe
penalties/suspensions for the guilty parties. How long can this go on?

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)
(go RAPIDS!!!!)