Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 03:34:58 -0700
>Durham, NH-  The Boston University Terriers have suffered their first loss
>of the season tonight at the hands of the UNH Wildcats by a score of 5-0.
>Sean Matile scores the shutout for UNH.  UNH scores TWO shorthanded goals
>on the SAME BU power play.

Yeah... [sigh] I think BU Hockey Radio put it best when they said, at the
end of that same powerplay "...and the BU powerplay from hell finally comes
to an end"

Corbett made some very painfully clear observations about BU and UNH this
evening. About the Terriers he noted that "a lot of these kids still
haven't learned that it's not enough to just have talent, you need to work
hard every second you're on the ice, and Parker doesn't have them doing
that yet. He better soon, or else it might be a disappointing season for
the Terriers." [big sic]

As for UNH, he stated what most teams and fans have learned over the last
few years: "If you let UNH get up on you, even by 1 goal, they'll just pour
it on." No kidding.

Not to degrade the performance of UNH this evening -- they obviously dealt
the dogs a bit of the same medicine BU took to Maine last week -- but all
of the goals save the game-winner came about as a result of the BU squad
sleeping on their blades. Sloppy play clearing the puck, sloppy coverage of
1-on-1 situations... just a poor performance indeed.

Although BU radio made it seem like both teams played well until UNH's
first shorthanded goal, this listener was fairly surprised it stayed close
as long as it did.

As for UNH, they've obviously placed themselves in a spot as the team to
beat in Hockey East -- including in tomorrow night's matchup at Walter
Brown. Oughtta be *real* interesting to see which Terrier squad shows up
tomorrow.

The Wildcats displayed a lot of speed, and more importantly, tenacity
(again, my favorite attribute). As much as I can say that BU played sloppy,
UNH made absolutely sure they were right where they needed to be ALL THE
TIME. The third goal (second SH goal) is the best example of this; the puck
was directed away from the goal one second, the rebound near the boards not
picked up by BU (Kelleher, I think) a second later, the puck appearing in
the net the next second.

Additionally what really impressed me tonight about UNH was they showed
they have good depth on their squad, and that all of their lines --
including PK lines -- can play any game they want to, be it defensive,
neutral, or attacking.

So congrats to UNH... and beware Saturday evening. I'd love to know what
Parker has said or plans to do about tomorrow night. Sure, they'll be
playing back home in front of their fans (although there always seems to be
a very loud, healthy UNH contingent that travels to WBA) and it's a whole
new night, a whole nother game. Parker knows this, as do some of his
upperclassmen... but does the rest of the team?

Does the BU "Holiday Slump" come early this year?

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)
(go RAPIDS!!!!)