From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:08:00 -0500
I don't want to get into an argument here (or privately) with Dan, who seems
to have his mind made up about a number of things, including the relative
importance of other sports fans' viewing preferences.
I guess since we're all members of HOCKEY-L, college hockey rates right up
there for us.
However, I'm looking forward to the Tennessee-Old Dominion women's national
championship game in a couple hours, and I even enjoy watching Martina
Hingus play tennis.
(Hope no-one sends Craig Berube after me!)
As a long-time sports editor, if I've learned one thing it's not to defend
(or attack) one person's favorite game at the expense of another.
Frankly, I thought ESPN did a pretty good job with the telecast of the NCAA
Final Four this year. The production values were improved (lots of nice
interviews), the replays and camera angles, as usual, were excellent, they
hung around at the end for a little of the celebration, and nobody said
anything stupid, although Bob Norton has his voice turned up to Dick Vitale
pitch too often.
Was that a great second period by North Dakota or what??!! I thought their
quickness matched Michigan's and wish the teams could have met.
If North Dakota, BU, Michigan and Minnesota are setting a trend back to
quickness and skating in college hockey, we're all better off for it. Or
maybe you like watching the neutral-zone trap (which BU played to
perfection, not unlike Michigan State against Michigan this season; does
Jack Parker know game film or what?).
As a Michigan State fan, I was a little jealous that North Dakota got back
to the national championship game (and won) 10 years later. MSU was there 10
years ago, too, losing to the Hrkac Circus, and the Spartans won the
national championship the year before (my first in East Lansing). Maybe
1998.
Michigan reminded me of the 1985 Spartans (the team that preceded the
national champion MSU team). Ron Mason will tell you that team was his best
at MSU, but the Spartans lost to Chris Terreri and Providence in the
Regionals that year. I had seen Terreri play in the ECAC playoffs, and I
don't think I ever saw a college goaltender play better. Mason didn't win
with his best team, and Red Berenson didn't win with his best team this
year. Some things just aren't meant to be, I guess.
Finally, as to the Fox puck. I can take it or leave it (I certainly don't
need it), but my wife, who doesn't really watch hockey, loves it.
To each his own, Dan.
Steve Klein
PS: Congratulations, of course, to Dean Blais and his very excellent team. I
remember Dean when he was a freshman at Minnesota and he played in a
freshman game (frosh weren't eligible back then) at Wisconsin's Hartmeyer
Arena. You've come a long way, Dean. Way to go!