From:
Kevin Coty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Coty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 18:05:18 -0500
Jennifer wrote:

>It seems that there's some confusion about what actually happened
>concerning Dufour's
>penalty shot goal.  What occured:
>
>1)  Teams were even strength
>2)  Bobby Hayes (UM) got a minor penalty and was sent to the box
>3)  With a reasonable chunk of Hayes' penalty remaining, Madden (UM) was
>called for a
>delayed penalty as OSU was taking the puck into Michigan's zone.
>4)  Much intereference and confusion around the net and play was stopped

        As I understood it, the penalty shot was called against Marty Turco
for diliberate displacement of the goal.  If that was the case, then there
were two infractions that occured before the whistle was blown, one on
Madden and one on Turco.  Madden goes to the box to serve his penalty and
the penalty shot is taken (and scored) by Dufour.
       Here is where the debate comes in.  Michigan was already shorthanded
( minor to Hayes) and Ohio State scored on the penalty shot.  Since a goal
was scored, then should the player that made Michigan shorthanded (Hayes)
come out of the box?
        I think that the key here is that the goal was scored on a penalty
shot.  If Dufour missed the penalty shot would Ohio State had a 5 on 3
powerplay?  Now, if the goal was scored during a power play (not a penalty
shot) under the same circumstances (delayed penalty to Michigan while they
were shorthanded), the player in the box would come out and the delayed
penalty would be assed.
        Is there anything in the NC$$ rules that says when a team is
shorthanded and gets scored on , reguardless of how the goal  is scored
(power play or penalty shot), the first penalty will expire?

Kevin Coty
OSU '93
Miami '96

>5)  Madden went to the box
>6)  Pierre Dufour (OSU) was given a penalty shot, which he made
>7)  Hayes came out of the box, and Madden stayed in
>
>According to Scott Spooner (I don't have my rule book in the lab, but I
>trust him)
>> Short-handed means..........No minor or bench minor penalty will terminate
>> as the result of a penalty-shot goal.
>
>So, I ask again---why did Hayes get to come out of the box?  Keeping in
>mind that Graff
>was not officiating the game of his life, was it just a mistake?
>
>Jennifer

Kevin Coty                                              "Earth, go figure"
Molecular Genetics Dept                                --John Lithgow
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH 43210                                           (614) 688-4227
[log in to unmask]                                          FAX  (614) 292-4466