From:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 23:39:56 -0500
>     The second paragraph describes NCAA rules.  Team on power play
>     scores while another delayed penalty is being called -->> delayed
>     penalty is put on the board and served in its entirety and the
>     man already in the box comes out.
>
>     I still don't understand how it all works together when a penalty
>     shot also figures in, but I can at least clear up the one source
>     of confusion.  I only know this because of a friendly argument a
>     few years back that caused us to do some research.

My understanding of the rules is that the penalty shot would be assessed
just like a timed penalty (i.e. in this scenario, the player in the box
comes out and the non-offending team gets to take the penalty shot).  The
rules specify the handling of these situations generically, without
referring specifically to a timed penalty.

Howie

Howard Stein                               Go Big Red!
Cornell '91                                Kill, Schafer, Kill!
"Hooligans with horns" alumni

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf."
  -- Will Rogers