From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:55:00 EST
Two topics, both from the perspective of a guy in Ann Arbor.

ACADEMICS
Let me first thank Mike Machnik for opening this discussion.
I think most people on this list will attest that the student side
of "student-athlete" is too often overlooked.

Mike mentioned the academic success among the Merrimack
players and concluded with:
>I'd also be happy to hear about other programs that have been
>proud to have the same type of success in school and on the ice.
>I know they are out there, and they deserve mention too.

It just so happens that Michigan is not only blessed with an
outstanding team on the ice, it also features an outstanding
group in the classroom.  I won't mention the entire roster, but
I'll highlight a few focusing on the veterans:

Jason Botterill...SR...1995-96 GTE Academic All-America Second
    Team (men's Fall/Winter sports)...1995-96 CCHA All-Academic...
    1994-95 CCHA All-Academic Honorable Mention...majoring in
    economics...finished high school in three years
Peter Bourke...SR...majoring in business and marketing
Justin Clark...SO...a mental giant in the making...honor roll student
Greg Daddario...SO...Cum Laude graduate of Loomis Chaffee Prep
Chris Fox...JR...1995-96 Academic All-Big Ten (men's at-large)...
   pre-med major
Chris Frescoln...SR...majoring in history...planning to attend law
    school
Matt Herr...JR...majoring in psychology
Warren Luhning...SR...1995-96 CCHA All-Academic Honorable
    Mention...majoring in economics
Gregg Malicke...JR...1995-96 Academic All-Big Ten (men's at large)
    ...pilot...plans to serve as pilot in the military
Brendan Morrison...SR...majoring in economics
Harold Schock...SR...1995-96 Academic All-Big Ten (men's at large)
    ...pre-med major
Blake Sloan...SR...majoring in english...recently received
    college hockey's Humanitarian Award

All nine of Michigan's seniors are on schedule to graduate this
semester or in Spring/Summer of this year.  Fwiw, 1995-96 senior
captain Steven Halko, an engineer turned mathematics major,
returned to Ann Arbor from Cincinnati following the NCAA championship
and took one of his final exams (Euclidean Geometry, I believe)
on Sunday, the following day.

1997 HOBEY BAKER MEMORIAL AWARD
Jeez, I thought I was going to avoid doing this...

I'm obviously biased, but I honestly feel that Brendan Morrison
is the overwhelming choice for the Hobey.  He's an excellent
student.  He's not the genius that Botterill is, but he's doing well
as an Economics major at one of the more highly regarded
academic institutions in the country.  He involves himself with
other members of the team in community projects, including
visiting UM's childrens hospital.  I think his comments following
the NCAA championship game last season, when he said that
the NCAA title was not just for the 1995-96 Wolverines but for
all those who had worn the maize and blue and helped to bring
the program to where it is today...I think that alone says enough
about his character.

If you want to go onto the ice, it's nearly impossible to compare
with Morrison's resume:
  1994-95 & 1995-96 Hobey Baker finalist
  1994-95 & 1995-96 First Team All-America (West)
  1995-96 CCHA Player of the Year
  1993-94 CCHA Rookie of the Year
  1995-96 US College Hockey Player of the Year (The Hockey News)
  1995-96 Men's Ice Hockey Athlete of the Year (College Sports Mag)
  1995-96 NCAA Championship's Most Outstanding Player
  University of Michigan all-time scoring leader (95-171--266)
  scored game-winning goal in 1996 NCAA semifinal game and
    1996 NCAA championship game

Morrison led the nation in assists and points as a sophomore.
He scored 72 points in 35 games as a junior despite a pre-
season knee injury and a mid-season wrist injury that forced
him to wear a cast from that point on.  Take a look at the post-
game photos from Cinci...he scored the national championship
winning goal with a sizeable cast on his wrist.  Having your
wrist immobilized is fairly inconvenient for any player, let
alone a playmaker of Morrison's caliber.

Simply stated, he's the best player on the best team.  He
arguably gets less ice time than every other Hobey candidate
due to the talent on UM's roster.  He's a solid two-way player...
used on the penalty kill, manning the point on the power play
which frequently places him in a defenseman role, aggressive
back-checker, strong faceoff man, I could go on and on.

IMO, Brendan Morrison clearly deserves the 1997 Hobey
Baker Memorial Award.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])