From:
Steven Bartley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 11:28:13 -0500
This game was not decided until the last 5 minutes so it was much closer than
the score makes it out to be.

Red Berenson has been saying all season that Michigan has yet to play its
best hockey and the during the first 6 minutes of the game, Michigan did just
that.  I've never seen the team come out with that much fire and jump that
they showed against Miami in the first 6 minutes.  Miami held on ( 7-0 shots
on goal in that time) and actually scored the first goal and then another in
the second period to take a 2-0 lead.  I said at that time that if Michigan
was a national champ that they would come back and come back they did.  They
scored one in the second and then 4 in the third.  The score was 3-2 with 6
minutes left so the game was a lot closer than the final score.

Few penalties were called which really moved the game along.  Both of these
teams were flying and it was a great college hockey game to watch.  Sometimes
you wait a whole season for a game like this.

Miami is much better than the final score.  It will be interesting to see if
they start Lord in goal as opposed to Prior who played very well until he let
in the third goal (the defenseman guarding Brendan Morrison lost his stick
and Brendan was able to walk up to Prior uncontested).  Will Miami, who have
now lost 3 games in a row, give up or will they come out stronger?  Will
Michigan say, no way we're going down 2 goals again and come out stronger?

Brendan Morrison, nation's leading scorer if I read the stats correctly,
scored 2 goals and i think 2 assists last night for a career total of 250
points.  Too early to talk about Hobey Baker but  IMHO there is no better
collegiate player this year.

Steve Bartley