From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:12:00 -0800
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Sara M. Fagan wrote:

> announcement was made that the face off was to be brought out to neutral ice
> because of "premature substition of the goalie".  I took this to mean that
> someone from the Dartmouth bench got on the ice before the goalie made it to
> the bench (he never did get to the bench before the whistle).  So my question
> is this:  Has anyone ever seen this call before?  Why wasn't it just a
> 2-minute penalty for too many men on the ice? (sorry, I guess that is more
> than 1 question.)

Substituting for the goaltender seems to be a special case. I have seen
it before in an NHL game, in the same sort of situation. I may have seen
it a couple of times, but none others stick out in my mind. It's one of
those dusty sections of the rulebook.

I guess the theory is that stopping the play immediately and taking the
faceoff out to centre ice is enough of a penalty to eliminate the
advantage caused by the sixth skater entering the ice too soon.

If the NC$$ is the same as Canadian Amateur in this case, then this only
applies if the team pulling the goaltender has the puck. If they didn't have
the puck, the normal Too Many Men penalty should have been applied. (Of
course, if you're pulling the goalie when the other team has the puck, you
should get an additional two minutes for Being an Idiot. :-) )

See you later,
John

John Edwards                       Minister of Chasing Wild Geese (DNRC)  O-
[log in to unmask]       Web page temporarily not with us.
   "Ah, love, the walks over soft grass, the smiles over candlelight,
          the arguments over everything else." - Max Headroom