From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 19:16:21 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Geoff Howell) wrote:

>I have to disagree with the following from Brian Morris:

>>What makes Union different this year is a team that has listened to the
>>preaching of its freshman coach: boring, defensive hockey can win games.
>>The success of this year's edition is undeniable; the Dutchman are in the
>>unaccostomed position of challenging for a top four finish in the ECAC,
>>with major wins over teams like Princeton and Clarkson.

>The Union team that I saw beat Harvard 4-2 did it by outhustling and
>outskating the Crimson, two things that the Engineers failed to do the
>following night. Union played aggresive positionally, was in Harvard's
>face all night, but didn't look like a "clutch-and-grab" club, as Brian
>also alleges.

I will also disagree with Brian's statement.  Aggresive forecheck and
puck control along the boards is not boring hockey.  I thought Union
controlled the game when they controlled the forecheck.  I've seen it
in the four Union games I have seen this year.  When the Dutchmen
control the forecheck, they control the play, and the game and usually
win.

Union did one tremendous job on the forecheck last night for the first
two periods.  After those two periods, they led 2-1.  The third period
was run and gun.  Union just could not keep up with the quicker
forwards of RPI.

Stan Moore was wondering what happened to the forecheck in the third
period after last nights game.

One more thing I have noticed about Union this year, the defensemen
have much more confidence carrying the puck and making the pass.  Last
year, the defensemen had trouble with the puck, this year, just like
Princeton, the Dutchmen defensemen handle the puck very well.

Jayson Moy