Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 08:22:01 -0600
A little more knowledge, plus Jim Love's comments, have prompted me to
post on this one again.  I think Jim went a bit overboard in his
reaction; on it's own, this really isn't a big deal.  At least here at
Minnesota, students have about three weeks before drop/add ends.  While
I stand by my opinion that this isn't a good sign for those of us who
were hoping to see Rass back next year, there is another perfectly
plausible explanation, one I used frequently myself.  When I was at the
U, I would routinely only register for classes I thought might fill up.
 Other than that, I attended the first couple of sessions of 6-8 (or
more) courses and only make my final registration well into the second
week of the term, after I'd had a chance to give them a look.  Given
that one of the NCAA's main concerns seems to be whether something that
an athlete does is a special privilege not available to the general
student, Rasmussen's actions could in fact be perfectly reasonable.

There is another reason I think that forfeits are not being demanded.
Frankly, this is a suspension I've never heard of before.  Yet it wasn't
just Rasmussen.  We saw the post about the players at Alaska-Fairbanks
getting zapped.  Also, while merely channel surfing this afternoon, I
heard two different references to basketball players suspended for the
same infraction.  It sounds to me as if the NCAA has just started
enforcing the rule, or has a new interpretation.  Thus, they may be
going a bit lightly at the beginning.

J. Michael Neal