From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 23:51:07 -0400
At 10:43 PM -0800 1/17/97, Kevin Todd wrote [on INFO-HOCKEY-L]:
> Sorry I have only pieces of the box score tonight, our announcers were so
> unbelievably enraged by this one that they did not have time to give the
> saves for some of the periods...I know that you sound like a total freak
> if you complain about reffing, so I guess I will do my part..;)
>
> I don't know how many people out there know or have listened to Wally
> Johnson in the past (he is SLU's SID and color commentator)...In my 10
> years of watching and listening to SLU hockey I have never once heard the
> man complain about a loss due to refs...Well I have heard everything now,
> because he was simply incensed by referee Murphy's performance
> tonight...he was calling for Murphy to be suspended or possibly even
> fired...this is how bad it was...By the end of the game, he appearantly
> left the booth in search of someone to talk to about the job done in this
> one...it is unfortunate also that such a close and good game by the
> players could be marred by this type of thing...UMV's crowd (who I used
> to think of as rather knowledgeable) was crying foul the whole night even
> though the PP's were 1 for SLU and 7 for UVM...with UVM having a full 2
> minutes of 5-3...
>
> What is worse is that it is a travesty for a struggling SLU team and a
> valient Clint Owen who simply *shut-down* the UVM offense all night
> with 43 saves...if it wasn't for a terrbile 5-3 call, and a 3-1 set up by
> John Poapst being blatantly pulled down by St. Louis, this would have
> been his 4th win on the season, and he would still be undefeated...I will
> now stop my complaint and give you the box score that I have....but know
> this, if Murphy moves over and does the reffing at Dartmouth tomorrow
> night, I hope that SLU forfeits the game and simply walks out...it is one
> thing to lose a game 14 seconds into overtime...it is another thing all
> together to be completely demoralized by a single ref, even after you
> have fought back to tie a game that should have been yours to win...

And I still have no real idea what was supposed to be wrong with the
officiating... :-)  Number of power plays (1 vs 7) doesn't do it...if
they're even, people complain that the marble theory is in effect; if
they're far apart, then people don't like that either.

Now, while I don't like seeing so many people complain about the
officiating on HOCKEY-L, because I think that folks usually over do it, I
also recognize that sometimes they have a legitimate point and the
officiating is bad enough to be worth noting.  But it's tough for anyone
who didn't see this game to determine which category it might fall into!

Just a thought...

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****