From:
Tim Mustone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Mustone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 14:09:00 -0500

> Date:    Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:35:14 -0500
> From:    Jay Lau <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Lowell 4, St. Lawrence 3 -Reply
>
> I saw Lowell in this game and I was impressed with some of the rookies'
> performances.
>
> However, since Crowder recruited these players before he left for
> greener pastures, what's going to happen in future years? With a coach
> that has proven nothing yet and the worst rink in Hockey East (and
> possibly the worsest in all of college hockey), can Lowell do well in the
> recruiting game in the future?

        Although first year coach Tim Whitehead hasn't really proved anything
as a head coach, he did come highly recommended by Bruce Crowder to fill
his shoes.  Whitehead was involved with many behind the scenes stuff
like running practices and he was heavily involved in recruiting players
for Lowell.  When these players decided to come to Lowell, they were
already familiar with Whitehead, so it's not like there is a whole new
coaching staff in place since Crowder left.  Whitehead has done a
tremendous job so far with this young inexperienced team, better than
the last place the pre-season poll predicted.  Obviously the season
isn't over and Lowell still has 6 games vs UNH and BU and that has to
hurt.
        Lowell has had a tough time putting together back to back wins.  I
think it will take some time for the freshmen to get used to playing
back to back games at this level.
        Granted, the Tully Forum is one of the worst rinks in Hockey East,
along with Merrimack's rink at the Volpe Center, Lowell will be playing
in a brand new rink next year, which should be a tremendous recruiting
plus.  The rink (I think it's named or will be named after Paul Tsongas)
will also house an AHL hockey team.  The city of Lowell has done a
tremendous job of cleaning up and promoting the city in general.  With
the single A baseball team, the Spinners, and a minor league hockey team
in the near future, the improving city could be used as a recruiting
tool.
        Hey, maybe even Bob Kraft and the Patriot can come up here for their
new stadium.

                Tim