From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 04:00:41 -0800
This is further to last week's discussion of the OT, and wondering how
many games are decided in the 5 minutes. I posted the numbers for this
season to date last Friday.

(Doing this, I found IMHO the only advantage of the shootout. It made
figuring out the results of HE OT games a breeze. ;-) )

In 1994/95 there were 864 non-tournament games. Of these 126 went to OT.
(14.5%)

Of these 126 OT games, 48 (38%) had winners.

Nearly half (17/37) of the non-league games (NC, NI and EX games) had
winners. The other interesting thing was the fact that Hockey East had 19
games go to OT, and 16 of those ended in shootouts. I'm sure whether the
shootout was a factor in that is ground that has recently been plowed.

In 1995/96 there were 853 non-tournament games. Of those 121 went to OT.
(Approximately 1 in 7).

Of those 121 games, 40 (33%) were decided in the OT.

This year, most groups stayed pretty close to the total 1 in 3 number.
Hockey East had 21 OT games and 15 shootouts.

I would have gone back farther, but I like sleep. :-)

BTW, I'm now starting to understand how the Southern Californians on the
list feel. Up to a month ago I was 1.5 hours away from 2 college teams,
now at best I'm (and driving really quickly) 1.5 days from 2 college
teams. I'm going to have to make friends with someone who has a dish, I
guess.

John "PLEASE tell me that Washington is considering adding hockey" Edwards

John Edwards                       Minister of Chasing Wild Geese (DNRC)  O-
[log in to unmask]       Web page temporarily not with us.
   "Ah, love, the walks over soft grass, the smiles over candlelight,
          the arguments over everything else." - Max Headroom