From:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:59:58 -0500
>> Just to clarify the rules regarding overtime, I quote from the 1997 NCAA
>> Ice Hockey Rulebook, rule 6, section 44a:
>>
>> "Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament
>> champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., total-goals series,
>> single game, minigame series) that results in a tie will be broken by
>> 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods.  The ice shall be resurfaced upon
>> completion of regulation play.  The teams shall not change ends (except as
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  *****************************
>
>please define regulation play in the context of this rule.   Does
>regulation play include or exclude the 5 minute overtime period that
>is part of the "normal" game?  Is it not true that a SINGLE game can
>not be thought of as ending in a tie until AFTER the 5 minute overtime
>is played?

According to the other rules governing the time of the game and overtime,
it would appear that the 5-minute overtime is NOT a part of regulation
time, even though it is a part of a normal game.  The relevant rule
sections are as follows:

Rule 6-42 (Time of Game)

a.  The time allowed for a game shall be three 20-minute periods of actual
play with a rest intermission of 12 minutes between each period... (Goes on
to clarify some details concerning intermissions which are not relevant to
this discussion.)

Rule 6-43 (Tied Games)

a.  If the score is tied at the end of three regulation 20-minute periods,
the following shall take place:

  (1) There shall be a two-minute intermission.
  (2) The teams shall not change ends.
  (3) A five-minute period shall be played.
  (4) The team that scores first wins and the game is ended.  If no goal is
      scored in the five-minute period, the shall be declared a tie.

b.  Any overtime period shall be considered part of the game and all
unexpired penalties shall remain in force.

Based on the fact that rule 6-44 regarding tournament competition states
that "The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play.", and
rule 6-43 indicates that regulation period includes only the three regular
20-minute periods, it would appear that the rules define two alternate
overtime formats:  one five-minute period for regular games, and 20-minute
periods to completion for tournaments when a winner must be determined.

Howie

Howard Stein                               Go Big Red!
Cornell '91                                Kill, Schafer, Kill!
"Hooligans with horns" alumni

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." - Will
Rogers