From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:29:29 -0700
I'm sorry to be so late with this but I had to go to work and only just
saw the end of the game on videotape.

The intense rivalry between the US and Canada manifested itself even
before the game as the teams disputed who would be designated as the home
team (and get the last change).  The tournament directors had decided that
the winner of the Russia-Canada game would be the home team in the finals.
The US was understandably upset since they had finished higher than Canada
in their group.  The decision stood however.

Marty Reasoner got the first scoring chance for the US in the second
minute on a 2x1.  Quickly York picked up a loose puch in front of the
Canadian net after some sloppy puckhandling which has been a problem for
Canada throughout the tournament.

After five minutes Boyd Devereaux got by the US defense but his backhand
shot was stopped by Boucher.  Play went down to the other end where  B.J.
Young missed a sitter in front of the goal.

After about 6 minutes of crashing checks by both sides and much physical
play Thornton got a good chance which Boucher saved.  Alyn McCauley was
sent off for slashing at 12:20.  Canada killed off the penalty but play
stayed in their end with sustained pressure until B.J. Young got called
for crosschecking.  The Yanks killed it off and punctuated their
advantage with a nice chance with 11 seconds left.

Shots in period 1: Canada 8 USA 7.  This is misleading because the US
clearly had the edge in play, but were unable to score.

The USA came storming out of the chute with pressure to start the second
period causing a crosschecking penalty by Daniel Briere at 0:34.  Canada's
first shift on the kill was very effective but the USA got some good
chances in the latter part of the penalty time.

After some good US chances Jason Doig beat Boucher but hit the post with 8
minutes gone.  On a similar shot shortly afterward Devereaux beat Boucher
to the upper corner.  Assist to Letowski at 8:38.

Very quickly Farkas almost beat Canadian Goaltender Marc Deny on a
wraparound.  The US and Canada each exchanged power plays with no scoring.

Then Rasmussen, just after getting hit on a shot reminiscent of the the
one Boris Mironov recently took which has put Jason Arnott out of the
lineup for the Oilers got stoned from point blank range by Denis.  Canada
had a couple good chances in the last 10 minutes, then on a steal
Rasmussen got a good shot on Denis with just three seconds left.

Shots: 12-12  This period was about even with momentum switching.

I have fewer notes on the third period which I had to view on delayed tape
and was eager to know the outcome (and eat dinner).  After Denis saved a
point blank shot from York Brad Isbister of the Portland Winterhawks
scored on a nice pass from Briere at 3:09.

This ended the scoring and Canada really took control from this point
although the US did have some good scoring threats.  The difference is
hard to pinpoint: from here the Canadians played with confidence and the
tentativeness they previously displayed was gone.

Jeff Jackson pulled Boucher with 2:43 left and much of the play from that
point was in the Canadian zone with Denis, again, coming up big.

ALL STAR TEAM

Goal: Marc Deny Canada
Defence: Zuson (sp?) Russia
           Corso US
Forward: Morosov Russia
         Samsonov Russia
         York   US

Morosov and Samsonov were the best forwards in the tournament scoring
amazing goals both with quick wristshots and one man rushes up the ice, a
pleasure to watch.

Many of the Canadian players remarked that they had wanted to play the US
in the final because that is the game they most enjoy winning.  This is
really a complement to US hockey because since Paul Henderson Russia has
been to main focus for competition from the Canadian point of view.

Jeff Jackson said that he thought the US outplayed Canada.  He may be
right, but Canada outplayed the US in the World Cup but could not beat
Mike Richter.  The goalies are a part of the team.

Canada has won five world junior tournaments in a row, something no
other nation has done.  The old Soviet Union (and Canada) had won four in
a row.  The US had never done better than a bronze medal so after the
disappointment of the loss diminishes they may realize that they too
acheived something.

It is hard to convey to the readers in the US how thrilling this
tournament is (certainly few in Boston had any curiosity about it).  I
really enjoyed attending many games (including lots not involving Canada)
two years ago when it was in Red Deer.  People talk about how jaded
athletes have become, but the enthusiasm on the part of the Canadian
players springs from youth-and it was wonderful to see.  I can't wait for
next year's tournament.

US college note: This year there were no members of the Canadian team
attending US colleges.  I think there were six US team members in the
Canadian Hockey League.  I'm glad that when I go see Tri Cities play the
Ice tomorrow that Boucher will probably not have rejoined the team.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
CANADA: WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONS!!!