From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 17:12:49 -0500
>>> Dave wrote:
>>> I'd have to disagree with this one.  Almost any coach will tell you that
>>> recruiting is the name of the game.  Lowell has done an amazing job at
>>> developing "blue-collar" players, but the key to staying at the top year
>>> after year is getting your share of the prime recruits.  They don't always
>>> have to have great name recognition, but strong recruiting classes are
>>> still the key.  You can't be number one or two year after year just by
>>> developing players.

Hi Dave,

Sure, "recruiting" is the name of the game. But what we were discussing was
"marquee-recruiting". Lowell hasn't ever been able to really participate in
that game, so I'm sure Tim Whitehead wouldn't say it was the name of his game.
Smart, inciteful recruiting below the marquee level - equipped with good player
development - is what I was talking about. Lowell has proven that it can
compete with this as the name of its game. Hopefully, Lowell can continue to be
#2 or #3 with this approach.

>>> That said, there certainly is admiration around the league for the way
>>> that Lowell consistently has upperclassmen who are significant players but
>>> were nothing as recruits or as freshmen.

Let's not forget Lowell's ability to occasionally land the rookie-sensation
once in a while ... aka Greg Bullock and Greg Koehler. Its been a few years
since I've seen so many strong freshmen as I have this year. I'm looking
forward to checking out Cory Larose tonight. Koehler may very well not get
rookie honors this year with all the competition but I'd be curious to see how
many rookies had 15-20 points at this point last year or the year before.

It is interesting that you point out the trend in Lowell seniors to display
talents not totally evident ( at least not consistently ) up til that point.
I'm hoping that will continue as once again it looks like a large portion of
the scoring will come from the seniors this year. I'm hoping that the trend
will prove itself once again in the likes of Shannon Basaraba next year and
Doug Nolan and Mike Mulligan the year after that.

 - Paul  aka *The fanatical, biased and somewhat narrow-minded Lowell fan*
         aka *The over-compensating Lowell advocate trying to make up for
              the Riverhawks constant lake of respect - who sometimes makes
              comments that aren't at all well-founded. *  ;)