From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 15:50:04 -0500
A while ago, Steve Manning wrote (on the Badger Showdown):
>+ Isn't it usual for the host team in the tourney to schedule itself
>  against the "patsy" team?  Of course, looking at record alone,
>  the Badgers are the "patsy" of this tourney.  (Though I don't
>  think that the Wildcats would share that opinion any longer.)

Yes, the host team usually does schedule itself to play the perceived weakest of
the other participants in a tourney, and if the schedule for the Badger Showdown
had been drawn up two or three weeks ago, Wisconsin might well have opted for
Vermont or CC instead of a hot New Hampshire team (tough choice, though).  But
tournament schedules are generally made well in advance, and these matchups were
probably drawn up at least as far back as the off-season.  At the time, given a
choice between NC$$ finalist Colorado College, NC$$ semi-finalist Vermont, and a
New Hampshire team that went 12-18-4 in 95-96, it's not too hard to see why
Wisconsin would pick who they did.  (Also, a CC-Vermont rematch would have been
an added attraction for the tourney)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"So what's Cornell's strategy now -- go to the net?"
-- Grady Whittenberg, Cornell (WQNY) play-by-play announcer, following the
   clean-up efforts after Providence goalie Dan Dennis got sick on the ice
   during the first round of the Syracuse Invitational