From:
Rob Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 12:25:41 -0500
On 1/2/96, Howie wrote:
>As to the question of whether the 5-minute OT followed by 20-minute OTs
format is a good one, I would be curious to know how many games are resolved
during a 5-minute OT.  If the percentage is high, then I can see a strong
case for changing the rule.  However, if my suspicions are accurate and most
games tied at the end of regulation are still tied at the end of the 5-minute
OT, then using 20-minute OTs exclusively makes a lot more sense.<

One easy way to check that would be to look at the regular season.  Any tie
would indicate that a 5 min OT session was not enough.  Perhaps these
tourneys ahve a 5 min OT session out of force of habit?  How many people
really KNOW all the NCAA rules?  I know that the tourney people are supposed
to, but I've seen similar scramblings at the end of regulation at Maine that
others have.  Since a 5 min OT usually works(I think- there really aren't all
that many ties), it makes sense to end a tourney as soon as possible.

Rob Grover
UMaine 1996
Go Bears!!!!!