From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 12:36:00 EST
SYNOPSIS
Michigan State outplays Lake Superior, but are saddled
with Chad "Short Dog" Alban in net, hence LSSU advances,
5-0.  Michigan looks relatively crisp knocking off Michigan
Tech, 6-1.  MSU gets a late goal to defeat MTU in the
consolation, 4-3.  Michigan relinquishes 2-0 and 4-2 leads,
the latter in the third period, and scores in the final minute
of regulation to triumph over LSSU, 5-4.  It's the Wolverines
9th consecutive GLI title and 19th consecutive victory in
the GLI.

ALL-GLI TEAM
Hey, I actually *agree* with four of these selections!
G - John Grahame/JR/LSSU (1-1-0, 2.51, 91.9)
     The obvious choice.  Grahame was THE difference in
the win over Michigan State.
D - Ted Laviolette/JR/LSSU (0-2--2)
     Huh?  I'd like to tell you that he was selected based on
his reputation, but how many of you consider Ted Laviolette
a household name?  This has the makings of an X-Files
episode.  "Ted Laviolette's All-GLI selection: The Truth Is
Out There."  In all seriousness, there really wasn't a clear
choice for a second defenseman.  LSSU's David Lambeth,
perhaps.  UM's Chris Frescoln also looked good.  If I had
a vote, I'd have given it to MTU's Andy Sutton.  With his size
(6'6") and black helmet, he kind of looks like Darth Vader on
the ice.  His All-GLI performance came about ten minutes
after the consolation game ended, however.  As is customary
at Joe Louis Arena, between games all kids in attendance are
invited to walk out onto the ice.  As the kids' walk was taking
place, the Tech players still had not left the ice/bench area.
I was later told that there was a fire in the MTU lockeroom at
the time.  Anyway, after just having lost to MSU and waiting to
hit the showers, Sutton skated over to the kids' walk and handed
his stick to one of the littlest kids on the ice.  Very cool.
D - Harold Schock/SR/UM (1-1--2)
     The best defenseman in the tournament.  Schock made
a handful of big time hits and chipped in offensively as well.
F - Bryan Fuss/JR/LSSU (1-2--3)
     Hmm.  An annoying little gnat, but that's how I feel about
several Lakers. :-)  I'd probably have given the nod to a
different Laker, Mike Kucsulain (1-1--2), who seemed to really
be banging bodies.  Honorable mention to UM's Matt Herr,
Mike Legg and Andrew Merrick.
F - Brendan Morrison/SR/UM (2-4--6)
     The leading scorer.  Also notches his third consecutive
GLI MVP award.  Starting to turn it on.
F - Bill Muckalt/JR/UM (2-2--4)
     All points in the championship game.

THE INSIDE STORY
The *real* reason Michigan walked away with another GLI
title is that the Wolverines were the only team not to feature
a former UIC Flame.  Chad Korczak (MTU), Kevin O'Keefe
(MSU), Mike Peron (LSSU) and Deuce Wynes (LSSU) all
saw action.

THE T-SHIRT (...real reason, part II...)
Thanks to Michigan's victory, I can continue to wear one of
my favorite t-shirts.  Michigan's "Triple Crown" t-shirts hit the
stores last Spring, honoring the 1996 GLI, 1996 CCHA and
1996 NCAA titles.  Obviously, no one told the idiots that
designed the shirts that the 1996 GLI hadn't been played yet.

NICE TRY
In the UM-MTU semifinal, the Huskies came out first prior
to the second period.  The players beginning the second
period entered the ice and the remaining players went
immediately to the bench.  (This is now in the rulebook,
right?)  Michigan came out and all 20 players took to the
ice.  MTU head coach Tim Watters tried to get a penalty
called, but the game referee (Adam from the WCHA) wasn't
buying it.  The rest of the Huskies then poured off the bench
and onto the ice for a pre-period skate.  Two questions:
(1) Why wasn't this a penalty on Michigan?  (2) How often
have you seen this called?

Happy 1997...

John H ([log in to unmask])