From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:57:21 -0500
At 03:20 PM 12/31/96 -0500, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:

>Well, I don't necessarily think a Union-Middlebury game would be exciting
>either -- but let me set the record straight on your comment.  Middlebury,
>lately, has been the top team in Division III -- In the last few years alone, I
>have seen Princeton beat Plattsburgh St. by 1 goal, and tie Colby just one week
>after beating previously unbeaten and No. 1 ranked Maine.
>
>Princeton is on a par with Union -- and Middlebury is better than Colby or
>Plattsburgh.  Middlebury could easily win that game, though I'd guess Union
>wins it 6 or 7 times out of 10.

When you look at this Union/Middlebury senario there is another factor that
could play a large role.  For Middlebury, it might be the most important
game they will play that whole regular season.  For Union, it would be a
game that they are expected to win.

Adam cites Princeton/Colby two years ago.  That is a great example.
Princeton was on a high after winning the Dexter Shoe Classic and beating
the No. 1 team in the country, in their own rink, and in their own tournament.

So do you think they got "up" to play Colby?  I would doubt it.  You just
beat the No. 1 team in the country, why worry about some Division III team?

On the other hand, Colby (being in Maine) would know first-hand what
Princeton just accomplished and they would be sky-high ready to play that
game.  I am sure a tie felt like a win to Colby on that night.

Division II power Alabama-Huntsville came to Maine this fall.  Maine won two
games, fairly easily, but there were no 12-5 blowouts either night.  Again,
UAH was playing what was a huge series for them and they had nothing to
lose, while Maine was expected to dominate the two games.

I agree if you put the teams on equal levels in terms of having something to
play for then a Division I school should have an easy time, but when it is
just "another game" the Division III school will always benefit from having
nothing to lose, and the Division I school taking them lightly.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])