From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 03:20:24 -0800
On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:

> I believe Larry may be right -- After the original double-take when I saw that
> there was a 5-minute OT followed by a 20-minute, I thought of this too.  But I
> have not been able to get a solid answer out of anyone.
>
> The only answer I got was a sly comment that the Syracuse tournament isn't
> exactly run by geniuses.  But, I do think there is some validity to Larry's
> question.  All standings-keepers should try to check up on this.

Perhaps it was just an attempt to get the thing over with quickly. I'm
going to assume that the first OT was played without resurfacing. If the
game had ended within the first 5 minutes then the OT would only have
added 5-10 minutes to the game, and not delayed the next game (if this
was the first game). Once you flood the ice, you're adding 15 minutes to
the game time, and definitely delaying the second game.

This sort of thing is done in Canadian amateur hockey all the time. In
playoffs, they play 10 minutes without resufacing, and then start playing
full periods.

See you later,
John

John Edwards                       Minister of Chasing Wild Geese (DNRC)  O-
[log in to unmask]       Web page temporarily not with us.
   "Ah, love, the walks over soft grass, the smiles over candlelight,
          the arguments over everything else." - Max Headroom