From:
Lawrence Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 23:32:02 -0500
Syracuse I offer these thoughts:

More thoughts from the SIT:

        Well, I was definitely entertained by the events at the War
Memorial in Syracuse.  The ECAC continued its dominance over HE going 3-1
on the weekend.  Fears of playing Colgate a sixth time for the calendar
year were eased when Merrimack was fortunate enough to run out of
timeouts in their Friday evening game.  From what I understand as far as
the stick measurement goes, apparantly it was Scott Garrow who taught
Shafer the trick, having learned it from his previous tenure at Colgate
as an assistant there.  Or so I heard from someone this weekend.

        Friday night was a long night.  And contrary to what Beeej told
John, standing next to them at the game, I saw the game winner as a lazy
floater that knuckled in, bouncing in the crease just under the glove of
ill goaltender Dan Dennis.  (We thought he should have gotten the MVP -
most vomitous player).  I only wonder what Coach Pooley thinks of his
backup netminders to leave Dan in the game, and then play him again, just
15 hours after the end of Friday's marathon.  Cornell was not
particularly impressive in the Friday game, but without Seniors Auger and
Cooney, the offense was a bit depleted.  Keith Peach saw his first action
of the season and worked very hard along the boards to create some good
pressure.  The Cornell lines continue to be unstable, this week we found
Bergin and Papp out with Moynihan, with Kovac playing alongside a number
of players.  Chad Wilson continued in his forward role, earning
all-tourney team for his efforts.  Jeff Oates created a lot of chances
for himself again, but failed to capitalize until his empty netter to
seal Saturday's championship game.  I enjoyed watching the team pick up
some hardware, but the atmosphere was something less than that in Placid
the previous April.  A crowd of any size probably would have helped that
a bit, but the War Memorial was a barren empty place.  The SIT might do
better in a cozier, on-campus site.  (without that PA guy).  Just a
thought.

        Question:  It's my understanding that the 5 minute overtime was
played in order to count as the NCAA's official record of the game result
for use in determining tournament bids and seedings.  However, all the
ratings have come out with Cornell at 8-3-1, instead of the 7-3-2 I might
expect.  Is there a rationale for this, other than the preverbial, "we
play games to see who wins them" type of logic?  The effect would be
minimal, the Heal would cause Miami and Cornell to flip-flop, I really
don't know what it would cause in the other rankings, I can't calculate
that in five minutes.  Providence would also rise a place or two.
(depending on whether Northeastern beat or tied them at all this
season).  The effect would ripple through, but minimally, I'd think.
Other rankings might behave a little differently.  Just curious.  I
assume this'll show up in the RPI as a tie.

        The ECAC seems to be asserting itself as the number two
conference top to bottom this year.  ECAC teams went on a tear this
weekend, racking up an incredible record, which I haven't yet calculated,
but nevertheless was excellent.  HE has the nations number one in UNH,
but the RPI-similar ratings (KRACH and Heal) have their next participant,
BU, at 13/14 way down the list.  The CCHP has BU higher, but that's just
a reward for beating up on the rest of HE.  The WCHA is most impressive.
5 teams in the KRACH top 10.  Very impressive.  While the CCHA, despite
surprising (to some) Miami, appears overall weak, with most of the
KRACH's basement in their exclusive possesion.

        On an interesting sidenote, the KRACH shows a much bigger
conference to conference gap that either the Heal or the CCHP.  Well,
back to league play, for the most part.

        I'm interested on what people think of this new 'ordering' of the
conferences.  You asked for discussion, and with the biggest
interconference fortnight passed, it should be about time to start
discussing the issue.

        Next up for me:  Yost.  Now that should be fun.

Larry Weintraub '98
Let's Go Red