Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 08:54:22 -0500
Classification:
Prologue: Dan Olsen
IBM Global Services
Client Services Representative
East Fishkill, NY / Building 504 2J5-21
Ph: 8-532-5259 / (914) 892-5259
FAX: 8-532-7588 / (914 )892-7588
Mail: IBMUSM00(DOLSEN) or
Epilogue: Happy Holidays,
Dan Olsen

Although I agree that many of the assumptions, as false as they may be, are
downright inexcusable, I tend to disagree that there are those out there purely
with the intent to "stick it to BU".  I think you need to remember that BU was
the number one team for quite some time, and although they don't have a team
deserving of being in the top 5, somehow they manage to stay there.  Why?  It's
the reputation that BU's hockey program has acquired over time.

The increased attention that is paid to BU is also a function of their
success.  Nobody would look into the fact that a player from Ferris State left
for personal reasons.  When a team is at (or near) the top, it is always the
goal of the other teams (and their team's fans) to dethrone that team.
Anything that might be perceived as a weekness is going to stick out like a
sore thumb.

If you'll remember, earlier in the year, SLU's Clint Owen was suspended for the
fall semester for undisclosed reasons.  There were also rumors flying around
about the reasons for his suspension.  Were we merely attempting to stick it to
SLU (well, maybe some of the Clarkson fans were, but that's expected).

The bottom line is that if you can't stand the heat that comes with playing on
a national powerhouse like BU (especially in Boston), go to Illinois-Chicago.
I can't speak for all of BU's games, but at the three I have seen in the last
two years, I didn't see a group of fans or players looking to stick it to BU
except on the ice.  The fans I saw in Boston, at the Knick, and at Clarkson,
were all very receptive to the University and were willing to make every effort
to make them welcome and to help them deal with the Travis Roy tragedy.  For
example, at the November 30 game at Clarkson, the winner of the 50/50 drawing
donated his money to the Travis Roy foundation, long after it was the "in"
thing to do and long after Travis' jersey was hung on the bench for every
game.  If this kind of thoughtfulness is sticking it to BU, I hope more people
start sticking it to Clarkson.