From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 09:47:33 EST
> In regards to the policy on incompletes, does the NCAA share BU's
> views. Some people on the mailing list and on the USCHO bulletin board
> have speculated that the "personal reasons" are because of poor
> grades. I can't imagine the NCAA looking kindly upon a student-athlete
> that has five incompletes from his first semester of eligibity regardless of
> the reason.

My understanding is that the NCAA simply expects athletes to follow the same
rules as other students.  Since Lacouture is following those general rules,
he should be okay in their eyes.

Actually, I would think that a lot of students taking incompletes do so for
all their courses.  Medical emergencies and personal reasons typically
result in a withdrawal from all courses rather than just one or two.
Although there may be opportunities to abuse this rule, it also allows a
student to use the summer to resolve any incompletes rather than be saddled
with that responsibility at the beginning of the next term when he is also
presumably taking a full-time course load.

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com