From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:47:08 -0400
>Adam Wodon said:
>Surprise, surprise, another game with a Candian College team that gets
>chippy and nasty (Sorry, this isn't a slam on Canada or anything, but it
> is annoying that the over-age "kids" have no problem coming down
> and playing dirty hockey). It's a consistent pattern, even if you just
> check this weekend's boxscores.

>>> Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]> 10/14/96 06:01pm >>>
>>>I know that some of this weekend's games featured a lot of penalties,
>>> but this isn't exclusively a factor of Canadian vs. American.  And I
>>> don't know if you can make any generalizations about "over-age
>>> 'kids'".  The University of Ottawa team played a little physical in the
>>> game with BC on Friday, but it wasn't anything other than regular
>>> hockey.  No gooning involved.  And that team appeared to be quite
>>> young -- mostly 19 through 21-year-olds, with a few older.  The
>>> oldest was a senior just shy of his 24th birthday.  A lot of the New
>>> England schools have players that have gone through preps or
>>> juniors before getting a scholarship -- so even the freshmen are
>>> sometimes 20 or 21 years old (Canadian or American.)

I was going to respond to Adam's original post because I thought the
remarks were unfounded also ... in light of witnessing the Concordia at
Lowell game Friday. If anyone was roughing it up ... it was Lowell. The
Concordia team was all Freshman and Sophomores ... and they looked it.
There were no Juniors and just one Senior. Now, I didn't post about the
ages because I don't have the ages and Adam might know otherwise on
this. But since  Rick seems to know about Ottawa, I figured I'd throw in
my two cents.

Also, in light of the frustration Concordia displayed on Friday, I wouldn't
be surprised to see them trying to take it out on Amherst, especially after
a few Amherst goals. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Adam saw a
different Concordia team than I saw Friday.

There was one Concordia player who stuck out in my mind. This kid was
hit hard trying to whack the pcuk away from our goalie and he looked
real aggravated at being hit at all. What the hell did he expect? Well, this
same player was smacked at the blue-line instantaneously with an
offside whistle ... and again he took offense ... he threw a hit at the guy
who hit him ... got whistled and on his way to the box ... hit tow more
Lowell players. The ref gave him 3 2-minute penalties for 6 minutes total.
I had never seen that before. I would hardly call that gooning it though. Its
more like the Bullock tirades of years gone by ... little temper tantrums if
you will.

Paul.