From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:21:40 EDT
Deron writes:

>Maine's post-season ban this year by the NCAA includes Hockey East.
>So unless Maine wins their appeal and Hockey East decides to take no
>action Maine won't be participating in the Hockey East Tournament
>this season.

This is news to me... I was under the impression that the NCAA's "post-season
ban" referred only to the NCAA tournament, not the conference tournament
(which is under Hockey East jurisdiction, as far as I know).  Previous
sanctions have affected only the NCAAs, not the conference tourneys.  For
example, when Lowell was banned from the "post-season" in 1991-92 following
the mess surrounding departing coach Bill Riley, the team did participate in
the Hockey East tournament that year.  The year before, Plattsburgh State
was similarly banned from the Division III tournament, yet as I recall, they
still participated in two conference tourneys, the SUNYAC and the ECAC West.
Both of these cases involved some pretty serious recruiting violations.

I guess there is nothing that prohibits the NCAA from banning a team from
a conference tournament, but I thought things like that were left up to the
respective conferences.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"If that was a foul, I hope the Lord strikes me down right here on the spot...
 See, I told you."
-- Babe McCarthy, basketball coach, objecting to an official's call