From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 21:41:07 -500
Mike Machnik wrote:

> So far, this is the most I have found anyplace about the DivII-III
> Hobey. BTW, McDonough in 1985 and Sasso in 1987 were also finalists
> for the DivI Hobey as listed in the Hobey literature.  1988 was the
> first year that all of the finalists came from DivI, and it has been
> that way ever since.

I'm not sure, since Mike did not mention the other years, but I had
thought that until 1989* one of the ten finalists for the Hobey (in
the "university divison") was the winner of the DivII-III award (in
the "college divison").  Mike did mention East and West winners at
the DivII-II level, so it may be that one of the two was further
honored by being selected as a Hobey finalist in the "university
divison".

I make no claims to any of the above being even remotely true, as I
have only have my memory to guide me on the matter.

* I say 1989 since Mike mentioned Merrimack's Jim Vesey won for the
"college divison-East" in 1988, even though the school was a DivI
independent.

Sean Pickett
---
Looking forward to NCAA semifinalist BU hosting NCAA semifinalist
Vermont at Walter Brown Arena on Saturday, 26 October 1996 at 7:00pm.