From:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 22:18:51 -0400
Steve and ZRH suggested that all games, conference and non-conference,
count in standings which would then provide a "real" comparison
between all of the teams in D-I. I think this idea has some
problems.

IMHO, the point of conferences and conference standings is to measure
the relative performance of a group of teams that play a similar
(ideally the same) schedule of games. When Cornell plays the same set
of games as Harvard during a season and wins five more games you have
a somewhat legitimate reason for calling Cornell the "better" team (at
least performance wise). If Cornell plays a completely different
schedule from Michigan Tech and still wins several more games can you
really tell me who is better? Yes you can get into strength of
schedule and such, but such ranking systems don't really have the
elegance of a point system (or winning pct). This type of system is
really only meaningful if the schedules are the same.

Yes, conference standings can`t tell you directly which teams should
make the NC$$ tournament (except for automatics bids of course). We
need other systems which include all games for that. But college
hockey isn't just about the NC$$ tournament. Conference titles and
awards mean something too and they certainly add to the sport.

Whether or not the number of conference games should be increased or
if they should be made more "important" really depends on what is best
for the fans. (Eventually even TV decisions come down to the fans -
what do we want to watch - even if it never seems that way). I admit
that I hold the opinion that conference games are definitely more
enjoyable and should be stressed. One of the best things about sports
is the rivalries. Cornell-Harvard, Michigan-Michigan State,
Yankees-Red Sox (I couldn't help the baseball plug). Games against a
traditional rival are always the most exciting during a season. But
the only way to develop rivalries is to play teams regularly and build
a history. This leads to more intense games and more fun for the
fans. Seeing a few new teams every year is a nice change, but these
games can't compare to league games.

Can't wait 'til November...

Keith Kannenberg                            Cornell Big Red Hockey 21-8-4
[log in to unmask]                     ECAC and Ivy League Champs
Cornell '93 '96 '9?                         LETS GO RED!!!