From:
"Russell W. Bone" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 03:48:11 -0500
>I'm not going to quote what Neal wrote, but he criticized ESPN for treating
>Michigan as the favorite.  Others have done so as well, so this message
>should be treated in general not an attack on Neal personally, or his
message.

>I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree with the outrage that Michigan
>was considered the favorite even though they were not the #1 seed.

The flavor I got from the earlier post was disappointment not with Michigan
as a favorite in the finals, but with Michigan as a prohibitive favorite.
 Perhaps it is my bias towards CC that makes me think this way, but to speak
as though CC didn't have any serious chance of defeating Michigan shows some
lack of depth of knowledge about the team that spent most of the year ranked
#1 in the national polls.  Those of us who spent the season watching CC play
were not surprised one bit that they were in a position to win the
championship game, even against a powerful, peaking team like Michigan.  I
thought it appropriate to see Michigan as a slight favorite based on recent
performance, but prohibitive favorite was a bit out of line IMHO.