From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:06:22 -0900
Thanks, Mike, that's exactly what I was hoping to see and why I was
qualifying my opinion as to the goal.  That's a very interesting difference
between NHL and NCAA rules besides the obvious ones.

Here are some additional questions for anyone that cares to answer them...

1) So, is a puck caught and dropped in the offensive zone by an offensive
player always an illegal hand pass if the offense plays it first or only if
a teammate plays it?

2)  Does rule 6-17a only apply to hand passes when the puck is in the
crease?

3)  If not what does the "even though in the crease" mean?

4)  Is that supposed to mean the rule applies even if the hand pass is made
when the puck is in the crease?

5)  Where was McNeill when he made the hand pass?  In or out of the crease?

6)  Are they talking about both the attacking and defending teams in that
rule?

Now  I'm not saying these next things happened, I'm just posing some what
if questions.

7)  Supposing McNeill bats the puck out of the air and the Vermont goalie
gives it "a sideward or backward bat" as mentioned in the rules, is
Colorado College allowed or not allowed to control the puck at that point?

8) Supposing the puck had hit the Vermont goalie somwhere on his body on
the way down, is that "a sideward or backward bat"?

9) In that event could Remackel then put the puck in the net as McNeill
suggested?

10)  If McNeill had knocked it down with his hand and then hit it into the
goal himself with his stick, then what would the call have been?

11)  Also does the NCAA have the same differentiation between hand passes
in the offensive and defensive zones as the NHL?

Eric Carlson