From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:40:17 EST
Scott Preadmore wrote:

>Isn't Cole close to retirement?  The mere mention of Frank Cole makes
>most Michigan State fans cringe.  Cole was the ref for the quarter-
>final games (2 games, total goals) in 1985 when MSU's "dream team"
>(Craig Simpson, Bob Essensa, Tom Tilley, etc) took on Providence
>College.  PC's goaltending (Chris Terreri) was outstanding, but Cole's
>officiating was poor and inconsistent.  That mix kept MSU from meeting
>RPI at the Joe for the NC$$ Championship.

To unite some quite disjoint threads, I seem to remember in the finals
or semifinals in 1985, RPI's mascot, the now-departed and much-missed
Swarm, skated around with a MSU banner in order to get the MSU fans to
root for RPI.  While I don't think that the RPI band played the MSU
fight song, there was this attempt (which I think was successful) in
getting the home crowd on RPI's side eleven years ago.

One more thing, back in those days, one semifinal was on Thursday and
one on Friday with the finals on Saturday (perhaps it was Friday,
Saturday, and Sunday).  Thus one of the teams in the finals (in 1985
RPI) played on two consecutive days.  Since there was no overall
#1 seed, just a #1 for the east and #1 for the west, there was no
reason at all that one team should have the benefit of the off-day.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74