From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:59:21 -0600
Lee Urton writes:
>The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports this morning that Mike Crowley,
>sophomore defenseman and Hobey Baker candidate from Minnesota, has had
>his rights traded from the Philidelphia Flyers to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.
>
>How this will affect Crowley's status is not known. The Flyers management
>stated earlier that they would not urge him to turn pro until at least
>another year had passed, since they had no need of a fresh young D, and
>it would benefit Crowley to have another year of collegiate hockey
>experience. It is not known if the Mighty Ducks feel the same way.

Looks like Lee's reading the wrong Twin Cities' newspaper.  ;-)  Today's
St. Paul Pioneer Press story addresses this issue:

        Anaheim has no plans to sign Crowley until at least next year,
assistant
        general manager Dave McNab said.

        ``We definitely will leave Mike in school for another year. I called
        (Gophers coach) Doug Woog and told him that,'' said McNab, who lives in
        Coon Rapids and has seen Crowley play many times the past five seasons.
        ``We think he will be ready in another year, though, so we're
looking at
        possibly signing him after next season.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!