From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:31:14 -0500
Jayson writes:

>St. Lawrence's magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 6 with Yale or Union.
>This is pretty early, and if it is done it's the earliest to my recollection.
>
>Can anyone think of any other sooner (besides all teams making the playoffs)?

In the ECAC, the earliest clinching that I'm aware of was in the 1989-90
season, the first year of the ECAC's preliminary round (playoffs expanded
from eight to ten teams).  Colgate clinched a spot with eight games left in
the regular season.  If St. Lawrence clinches this weekend, they'll match
that achievement.

(Colgate, BTW, went on to win both the ECAC regular-season and tournament
titles that year and made it all the way to the NC$$ championship game -- a
nice omen for all you Saints fans :-)

Bill Fenwick