From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 23:33:30 -0400
M Machnik wrote:
>I'm becoming more and more aware of the effect that the net and web sites
>can have.  This year, I have heard from a number of players and parents of
>players who are either interested in playing at Merrimack or are actually
>being recruited by Merrimack.  They are learning about the school and the
>program through my (unofficial) Merrimack hockey web site.
>
>not only does the site serve as a means of disseminating information about the
>>team to fans and alumni, but it also can serve as a kind of recruiting tool.
>A >I suppose unintentionally it can be, much in the way that
>Merrimack uses its media guide as a recruiting tool to send to potential
>student athletes (PSAs).
>The next question, and one I would like to ask of people who are more
>familiar with recruiting regulations, is how might this method of providing
>information fall under existing NCAA rules?  Is there anything we need to
>watch out for?  Since I am indirectly providing information about the
>school and program to anyone who accesses the site, am I considered to be
>contacting PSAs, or is it considered to be more like a newspaper or
>magazine?  Or does it fall somewhere in between?  And what about the
>situation where PSAs or their parents send me email to ask me questions?  I
>try to answer the general questions and refer them to the school for more
>information.
>
>And the big question...how might the NCAA need to get involved with
>regulating this method of "recruiting", even if it is indirect?  Will we
>see rules enacted in the near future to address this?  Will there be a
>limitation on web site visits similar to that on campus visits? :-)
>
>Basically, if the NCAA will be regulating my site, I'd like to know about
>it. :-)
>I suspect this area will only get more interesting as time goes by.  It
>might be an interesting topic for those who cover the game for various
>publications.

Well, somewhat like my earlier HOCKEY-L post about the World Juniors, it's
another grey area, ready to trip up the unsuspecting program who gets a
dime dropped upon them, or has not developed a stringent self-enforcement
apparatus.

Question:  Mike, do you consider yourself a "Representative of Athletic
Interests" ? That is - did you EVER give money to the Merrimack athletic
programs or "been involved in any way with the school's athletic program"?

If so, consider these advisories:  "DO NOT make any contact with a prospect
or the prospect's family on or off campus...If a prospect approaches you
off campus regarding the athletic program, explain that NCAA rules (d)o not
permit you to discuss the program."  "DO NOT contact an enrolled
student-athlete at another institution for the purpose of encouraging
transfer to Merrimack"

Where did these quotes come from ?  "Friends of Maine Hockey Newsletter" Oct. 95
Where applicable, I substituted Merrimack for UMaine.

Is use of your Web site considered "making contact" you might wonder ? Did
you "discuss the program" when the PSA accessed your site ?   Is improper
contact the case when a hockey player at another school uses his Internet
account to view your site ?  Well, should someone with some grudge against
your school wish to pursue it, you may already be in trouble, and because
the NCAA is not held to standards of legal due process as a "Voluntary
Organization", they don't have to tell your program you are a subject of
investigation.

Ah, the rules...

        ****** If you can read this, thank your monitor *******