From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:11:58 EST
> >Posted on 17 Jan 1996 at 17:13:35 by Deron Treadwell
> >This brings up an interesting question in my mind. UMaine has made it very
> >clear to me that they don't want to be a part of my page, very similar to
> >how BU treated Sean Pickett a while back.  Since my page, (as well as Mike's
> >and Sean's) is unofficial, how can I be considered a representative of a
> >university that wants nothing to do with the page?
>
> This is indeed a very interesting question. I suppose that the difference
> is that although Mike's page is unofficial, Mike's relationship with
> Merrimack College is at least quasi-official.

But the regulations pertain to "athletic representatives". MikeM,
Deron and Sean are athletic representatives, IMHO, because they are
individuals "who should have been known" by the College/University to
"(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's
athletics program". See 13.02.11 in the NCAA Manual.

Before the convention just completed, any electronic communication was
treated as a telephone call.  The D-I institution gets 1 call per week
(with lots of caviats I won't get into here).  If the MC recruiter
called during the same week, MC might have an NCAA violation.  On the
other hand, the rules (13.1.2.5.(a)) say that when contacted by a
recruit, you must refer questions to the athletics department staff.
So MikeM giving the coaches phone number was probably not a violation.

If anyone wants to hear it, I can relate a story about this sort of a
contact at Maine recently and how it was handled.

Bruce Spencer pointed out that this year's convention apparently
changed electronic contact from telephone contact to general
correspondence.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE