From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 15:45:31 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> to rehash the Princeton perspective: the tennis balls at
> Baker started in '91-'92, Don Cahoon's first year. I'm not
> sure exactly why, other than the then-juniors had some
> pretty rowdy friends who were very into the games. Cahoon
> absolutely hated the growing "tradition" because it
> inevitably took away the momentum Princeton had just
> gained by scoring as the rink crew needed several minutes
> to clean up. Dartmouth fell victim to the barrage on Nov.
> 30, 1991 on the way to a 9-1 Princeton victory.

The inanity of it all is that Dartmouth fans somehow took this
personally - like it was only done to Dartmouth. You should have seen
the absolute venom being spewed by Dartmouth students - such as obscene
gestures, as if Princeton was the cause for all their woes.

Unfortunately, in this case, Princeton could not benefit from the
momentum stop.  The referees should have called a penalty on Dartmouth,
but couldn't because they never gave an initial warning.  They
should've given the warning before the game, because this happens every
year.  Maybe Don Cahoon should've been aware to remind the officials.

This is how it stopped, finally, at Princton.  Princeton got warned
before hand, then when it happened, they got a penalty.  It never
happened after that.

I enjoy obnoxious fans -- but only when it's in a creative, semi-
intelligent way, as in the way Cornell fans have the greatest set of
chants there are.  Yes, they have the Harvard thing, but it's once and
it isn't a big thing (though still not condoned).  If Dartmouth held it
just to tennis balls, that might not be too bad, but to go to Oranges
is dumb.

   Finally, it was funny to note that Don Cahoon immediately took his
team off the ice toward the dressing room with 3:33 remaining in the
first period.  Referee John Melanson said, "Hey, where you going?"
Cahoon said, look, I just got hit with a tennis ball, we're going off --
and Melanson said OK. He then told a bewildered Roger Demment what was
happening.

AW