From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:40:20 -0800
At 01:07 PM 1/10/96 -0500, Ken Miller wrote:

>    It is absolutely true that Bob Gaudet is a vocal coach who gets on the
>refs.  He's hardly alone in that respect.  And, as a high school official
>in another sport, I can tell you that it does not help a team's cause to
>ride the refs.  I wish Bob would cool it a little during games.  However,
>he's an ex-goaltender, and goalies tend to be very vocal in their opinions
>of how a game should be called.

Hold on a minute.  I agree with your assessment that abusive coaches don't
increase their chances of getting on a ref's Christmas card list.  But on
behalf of goalies everywhere I have to why you think we are more vocal in
our opinions about game officiating?  If anything, it has been my experience
that goaltenders are more apt to silently endure in the face of creative
officiating when their teammates are mouthing off to the black and whites.

Both as a player and a spectator, I've never seen a goalie get slapped with
a misconduct penalty for mouthing off.  Granted, I don't see many Denver
games :) but most all the goalies I've encountered (including myself) tend
to quietly distance themselves from refs, crowds, other players, media, etc.
It's part of the game.  The only thing you worry about is that little black
disk.

I don't really want to start a vast thread here but I'd be interested in
hearing what led you to your conclusion.  Maybe I'm just not watching the
right goalies...

By the way, UAF coach Dave Laurion backstopped Notre Dame in the early '80s
and is one of the mellowest guys I've ever seen behind the bench at any level.
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
UAF '90