From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 08:44:00 EST
John Edwards writes (on Info-Hockey-L)...
>Two college players, LW Jason Botterill of Michigan, and RW Mike Watt of
>Michigan State are among the 32 players invited to the Canadian National
>Junior Team's training camp.
>
>Former Michigan C Robb Gordon has also been invited.

Very interesting.  It's often been proposed that Canada resents
its native sons who dip south of the border to play college hockey
in the states.  Whether this is true or not, I have to believe that more
than 2/32 of the young, Canadian talent is playing in the NCAA.
It's a shame that more collegians aren't invited, but that's the
way it is.  (Note: No value judgment on my part.)

From the ET TU department, I noticed this in Sunday's DETROIT
NEWS & FREE PRESS:

(begin quoted material)
OUT OF THE RUNNING
     Detroit Whalers left wing Sean Haggerty, leading the Ontario
Hockey League with 30 goals and 25 assists through 27 games,
has been snubbed by the U.S. team for the World Juniors
tournament.  Haggerty, who made the Memorial Cup all-star
team last year and also competed in the World Juniors last
winter, apparently angered U.S. Coach Jack Parker (who coaches
Boston University) when he opted for junior hockey instead of
the college route.  Parker recruited not only Sean, but his older
brother Ryan, who ended up playing for Boston College.
     "I kind of saw it coming," Haggerty said.  "I read in The Hockey
News where Jackie Parker said I'm not a team player."
(end quoted material)

Make of it what you will.  As for former Michigan Wolverine
Robb Gordon being invited to Canada's camp, I will say
this.  From what *I* hear, Gordon didn't look to receive an
invitation playing at Michigan.  However, now that he's
tearing it up for Kelowna in the WHL he has a decent shot
of making Team Canada.

Whatever is really happening behind the scenes, the public
is being led to believe that "territorial bitterness" is hurting
both teams (not that Canada needs to be any stronger :-).
I think it's too bad because, regardless of the actualities,
the perception is that US kids should stay out of the CHL
and Canadian kids should stay out of the NCAA.  I disagree
with both.

(Fwiw...I'll take Team Canada for the gold, with or without
any NCAA players.)

John H ([log in to unmask])
Of course, it was only a couple of years ago that the Ferris
State program nearly folded.  One of the things that the FSU
Administration objected to was too many Canadian kids
getting scholarships. :-(