From:
Tim Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:25:40 -0600
Scott Spooner from Michigan posted that Munn Arena at MSU was
a "small dungy hole in the wall" with "horrible lighting."  Perhaps this
was meant as Spartan bait, and perhaps I should not respond, but I
wanted to counter-balance Scott's statement with my own.  I'm wondering
if Scott's bad impression of Munn is because he had standing room seats.
Munn is not the best place to have an SRO ticket, unless you bring
along a paint can or chair to stand on  (:-)  sorry, inside joke).

I've attended games in many different arenas and feel that
Munn Arena is one of the very best ice arenas in the country for a
college hockey spectator.

There are no obstructed view seats in the arena, there is adequate
space to sit (the rows are far enough apart to save ones knees),
and the lighting is great.  The lights over the crowd areas are turned
down while the lights over the ice are turned up.  As an amateur
photographer, I've gotten a lot of great shots in Munn just from my seat -
unlike Yost, there are no bright lights shining in your eyes all game.
(Yost's lights seem to be angled poorly and shine on the ice and into
the crowd, especially when TV coverage is being provided.)

Munn is an arena that is nice for viewing hockey.

After Scott's posting about Munn being a small, dungy hole in the wall,
I felt I had to respond.  The MSU fans may not be as loud as fans at places
like Bowling Green, Cornell, or Harvard, but the arena itself is a fantastic
place to see a game.  No seat is more than 15 rows off the ice, there
are no girders to block ones view, parking is available within walking
distance, and there are enough concession stands that there are never
any real long lines within the arena.  The arena is also very well-maintained
and quite clean.  In this way Munn is not a miniature version of Joe
Louis Arena - Joe Louis is one place where you can almost bet that your
shoes will stick to the floors, it just isn't cleaned properly.

Hoping I don't start Arena Wars on hockey-l ... we don't need a repeat of
 Band - like wars that interrupt us from time-to-time.

Tim Newman