From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 16:44:20 -0600
> The discussion of UAF's schedule highlights again why the WCHA couldn't
> possibly switch to a travel partners situation.
[the rest of the explanation of distances deleted]

I agree. The travel partner thing just wouldn't work in the WCHA.

>   If people want to offer constructive criticism, offering some sort of
> *practical* solution to the dearth of WCHA non-conference games, I'd be
> willing to listen, but I'm tired of carping by people in the Boston area
> who can practically walk from one arena to the other.  States are much
> bigger out in this area.

Various solutions, all involving adding more teams and splitting into
divisions have been discussed here before. I have no idea what the
coaches, Athletic Directors, and most fans would think. I think they are
reasonable, assuming that there are more teams to be added to the WCHA.

I also think it is important that teams like Mankato State have a place
to play. Maybe not next year, but eventually.

Here are some options that come to mind:

10 teams, 2 divisions of 5:
    - keep the 2-game (Friday-Saturday) series format
    - play each team in your division 4 games (2 home, 2 away)  = 16 games
    - play each team in the other division 2 times (2 or 3
        series at home, 2 or 3 away. Switch the next year)      = 10 games
    - a total of 26 league games (allowing 8 non-conference games)
    - League champion ("regular season"): team with most points.
    - top 4 teams from each division are in the playoffs, 1 and 2 host 4
      and 3 from other division. League record (division and
        non-division games) breaks ties in division.

12 teams, 2 divisions of 6:
    - keep the 2-game series format
    - play each team in your division 4 games (2 home, 2 away)  = 20 games
    - play each team in the other division 2 times (3 series at
      home, 3 away. Switch the next year)                       = 12 games
    - a total of 32 league games (allowing only 2 non-conference games,
        the same as now, but 2 more teams are in the league).
    - champions and playoffs same as above

Merge the CCHA and the WCHA:
        - add Mankato State and anyone else
        - make three divisions
        - Rick Comley's idea

None of these are perfect. Traditional rivalries might change over time
due to playing only home or away if they are in the other division (but
that happens anyway as other things change). The argument could be made
that the balance between division and non-division games is wrong
(either way -- too even or too lopsided) thus making the non-division
games count too much or too little.

        --david