From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 05:52:01 -0500
Tony Buffa mentioned a game in the RPI-AIC series when many people
were thrown out of the game allowing AIC to "come back" and make the
game _only_ 17-2.  The lifetime record of RPI vs AIC is 19 and 1.
Most of the games were not close.  The last game was played on 2/15/72
with RPI winning 19-0.  I didn't write it in my program, so my memory
may be faulty, but I think that the third period was played with a
running clock (i.e., time wasn't stopped after icings, etc.).

But let me interject in these reminisces on one-sided games between
RPI and AIC one that was one-sided in the opposite direction.
Due to Ned Harkness leaving RPI after the 62-63 season and Rube
Bjorkman only staying for one year, RPI had what might have been the
worst Div-I team ever assembled in 65-66.  The team went 0-for Boston
for example, losing 9-0 to BC, 9-0 to BU, and 14-0 to Northeastern
(didn't play Harvard).  If memory serves me well (and it often
doesn't), RPI's goalie, Dick Greenlaw, was named one of the three
stars in the BU debacle as he faced an astounding 87 shots, saving 78
of them.  (Anyone know if either of these is a record?)

Back to AIC.  If there was ever a chance for AIC to beat RPI, it was
on 2/5/66.  I have never seen a happier team (with the possible
exception of the 1980 US Olympic team) than the AIC team which came
away with a 6-1 victory.  Things went back to normal a year later with
RPI beating AIC 7-0.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with
AIC's program in the 1960's and early 1970's that might know why this
series was continued for as long as it was.  Another odd thing about
the RPI-AIC series is that until 1968-69, all of the games were played
in Troy.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74