From:
Dick Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:06:55 EDT
        I managed to finally catch a re-run of the Black Ice program on
ESPN yesterday in the early morning.   It was OK,  and fun to watch.   But
the engineer in me really wanted something a little more substantial in
terms of study.

        My main takeaways were:

1.  Anson Carter is a much better skater than Mike Grier.   I had seen them
both on TV this year,  but until one sees them back to back it isn't so
obvious.   And ... while Grier plays hard-nosed hockey,  so does Carter.

2.  If USA Hockey wanted to,  it could probably do a survey of youth hockey
players to determine if there are any serious social impediments to minorities
getting into hockey.   If so,  the impediments could be easily quantified in
the same survey.   Just a passing thought as I watched ESPN's vignette-based
piece....   Oh,  btw,  this isn't a subject we need to feel uncomfortable
about discussing.   Just come right out and ask the kids.

3.  I had heard that John Saunders played in the summer men's A-check league
in Hartford with a number of NHL'ers like Janney and Francis,  etc.   Guess
that rumor that he played in college was true:-)

4.  Very clever showing Ted Laviolette's goal and not explicitly remarking
on it.   I happen to remember that goal vividly as I almost "cried" when
it happened.   I knew it would mean that Tech would have to play Lake
in Worcester  --  then the hottest team in college hockey.

        Hope my observations aren't too superficial.

        -- Dick Tuthill