From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 12:06:40 -0500
Jayson Moy wrote:

> In article <[log in to unmask]>,
> Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >It was good to finally see the list of RPI recruits.  (Some of us were
> >starting to worry. :-). )
> >Hmmm.  This doesn't make much sense.  RPI lost 6 athletes with
> >scholarships but could only hand out 5 new ones.  I guess that there
> >are three possible explanations.  1) One is being held for Kyle
> >Ferguson who will be eligible in the second semester.  2) Some of the
> >graduating seniors had partial scholarships.  3) Poor arithmetic at
> >RPI again.
> >

> 18 scholarships on the line:
> Masotta, Brownlee, Pirrong, Healey, Battaglia, Richardson, Rochon
> Kiley, O'Connor, Tapper, Aldous, Regan, Tamburro
>
> 5 left to give:
> Garver, St. Hilarie, Murray, Gosselin, Murphy
>
> I thought the rule was (correct me please if I am wrong) 19 was allowed
> for last year but this year 18 had to be enforced.

I seem to recall a discussion about this two years ago, when I
wondered how RPI would be able to meet the 18-scholarship limit when
they previously had 20 and only scholarship athlete (Allan Kummu) was
graduating.  At the time, I was told that either there were some
partial scholarships involved and/or the one held by Cam Matches, who
had left without graduating earlier, was still vacant.  The question
about the 18-scholarship limit not being enforced yet did not come up
(although I thought that perhaps a grandfather clause might allow a
school that was not losing any scholarships to graduation to still
keep a higher limit).

I would be surprised to hear that the limit was not enforced in 94-95.
I am assuming that when Jayson wrote "this year" he means 95-96 as
"this year" officially became 95-96 after the 94-95 season ended.

<snip>

> Which brings us back to the question of Joe Juneau's brother.....

Yes, what ever happened to him? :-)

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74