From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 1995 10:22:13 -0500
I thought it was time to share my thoughts about UNH's loss to Providence on
Thursday night now that I have had 2 1/2 days (and very busy ones, thank
goodness) to allow my emotions to settle way into the background.

There are three things by which I measure the success of a UNH season: making
the Garden, winning the Hockey East playoffs, and "doing well" in the NCAA's.
 Up until last Thursday night, I felt that this UNH team had an excellent
chance of achieving this elusive trifecta.  Thursday night's loss left them
with only one of the three.  My overwhelming feeling remains one of great
disappointment: I felt that this team had an excellent chance of winning the
Hockey East championship this year.  While I am willing to give Providence
plenty of the credit for the victory for all the reasons that have been cited
in previous postings, I feel that UNH lost because of failure to execute in
three areas: FACEOFFS (*MUST* be a point of emphasis in practice as they
prepare for the NC$$'s), power play (1 for 5 Thursday; practice point of
emphasis #2), and center ice play.  (Bad karma/UNH-Red Sox fan futility
syndrome a close 4th...with apologies to my great friend Jim Love ;-))  These
are all things that can be addressed in the next two weeks as UNH prepares
for its NC$$ appearance, hopefully in Worcester.  Their attitude has to be
that they are certainly capable of winning the next two and getting to the
Phinal Phour, even though it will be difficult after a two week layoff.
 Meanwhile, I'll be at the Garden next weekend for what I hope will be some
great hockey.

Karen Ambrose, UNH '72
Go Blue!  On to Worcester, I hope!!