From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 21:28:32 -0500
Being from Boston, and being a hockey fan (UNH 1st, college 2nd, Bruins 3rd),
I've been interested in the immediate love affair that the Boston media has
developed with Blaine Lacher. Despite the fact that Boston is one of the
hotbeds of hockey in the US, I dare say that 75% of fans here never heard of
the guy until he signed with the Bruins and all but a few of the rest had
ever seen him play. I will say that he is playing the style that  made him
famous at LSSU.  Interesting quote in today's Boston Gobe from Jeff Jackson,
commenting on Lacher's poor freshman year performance - "let's just say that
when he left here, Blaine didn't know if he'd be coming back for his
sophomore year, because I didn't know if I wanted him back.   He knew how I
felt, but I'm not in the habit of cutting someone's scholarship and telling
them to leave based on one year's performance. It's just not enough time"
 How much is enough Jeff, 2, maybe 3 years?  Aren't there NC$$ rules against
this sort of behavior?  It sort of reminds me of the old Robbie Benson movie
where his coach (basketball) asks that he renounce his scholarship.  It leads
me to wonder how many players pass through the Soo in a 4 year period.  I do
know for a fact that there have been players at UNH who have been able to
keep their scholarships despite being cut from the team.  I would like to
think this is the norm throughout Division 1 hockey, but maybe I am naive,
eh?

Greg Ambrose, UNH, '72
Go Blue!!