From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 91 02:31:39 EDT
Jim Love writes:
>     It's all so clear to me now: W. Riley [formerly of UMass-Lowell] was just
>auditioning for a job in the Edmonton front office :-)
>
>     Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose ......

oh boy, Riley will never be able to live this down...

anyway, I don't believe any charges have been filed against Pocklington for
what he did - at least there may not have been any NHL rule that specifically
said what he did was illegal, though we can question the ethics of the people
people involved.  NCAA rules did state that what Riley allegedly did (offering
his Lowell players money to beat BU five years ago) was illegal.

And a former player of Riley's, Craig MacTavish, is an Oiler.  But MacTavish
played for Lowell in the late 70s and was already in the NHL when the BU
incident allegedly occurred.  But the connection drawn by Jim *is*
interesting. :-)