From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 09:50:31 -0500
The Washington Post had a large article about the area's high school
hockey, "Players Feel Ice Hockey's Growing Pains: After High School,
Opportunities Are Limited for Products of Burgeoning Area Programs," by
John Manasso.  It says that the level of play is improving, but doesn't
match that in Pennsylvania, New York, New England and the upper Midwest.
Some of the players hope to play Division III college hockey.  Others
attend prep schools for a year in the hope of attracting the attention of
college scouts.

One of the problems in rink space.  The article says that because of few
ice rinks most of the teams skate only 2-3 times per week, instead of the
5-6 times per week that top teams skate.

One player is quoted as saying, "A lot of guys down here know that we are
considered the 'hicks' of hockey.  Down here, you are considered good,
but you are nothing compared to the [kids up north].  You know you are
not going to play Division I, unless you have a tremendous ego."